Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Preppy Runs for Charity

Hello Lovelies,

So by now you all know that I'll be running the San Francisco Full Marathon on July 25th... eeek! What you may not know is that I am running the marathon for a charity that focuses on Alzheimer's, Aids, and Heart research.

Here is what you need to know:

Running Towards Medicine
The San Francisco Marathon will be my first marathon. I have always wanted to run a full marathon, and it seemed fitting that I should run a marathon this summer as I am starting medical school in August. The process of training and applying for medical school has helped build the tenacity and endurance necessary to train for a marathon. In March I ran the Zooma Austin Half Marathon for charity, and running for charity, knowing that my friends, co-workers, and loved ones had all donated to support me really helped encourage me and keep me training through all the hard long runs. As I prepare to run the San Francisco Marathon, it seemed fitting to select Alzheimer's research as my charitable cause for two reasons 1) because my boyfriend's grandmother suffered from Alzheimer's and passed away in August 2008 (The marathon will be ran almost a month before the anniversary of her passing) 2) because in the week before starting medical school, it only seems fitting to run to raise awareness for such a debilitating medical condition.

Donate Now!
Facts about Alzeheimer's Disease: Alzheimer's Disease affects an estimated 4.5 million Americans. The number of Americans with AD has more than doubled since 1980. AD is the most common cause of dementia among people age 65 and older. Why Help Me? Not only are you helping to raise money that will go towards finding research on more effective cures and possible treatments for this tragic disease, but your donation will also play a large role in motivating me to continue to train for the marathon. As part of the marathon training I will be running 5 long runs that will consist of 20-23 miles each. The full distance of the marathon is 26.2 miles, so I will practically be running the full distance, by myself. As the miles build up through the weeks knowing that I am running for a reason other than myself, and knowing that I have your support really does become a driving motivational force in my training. And believe me, on a long run of 20 miles... I'll need every ounce of motivation I can muster up! :) In this economy I know we're all watching our budgets, and tightening our belts. So please don't feel like you have to give up the farm to help. But please know that small donations, quickly add up to large donations. Your $5 donation, lumped together with ten other $5 donations quickly becomes $50 going towards a great cause! 

2 comments:

Jane said...

GOOD LUCK! It is a T.O.U.G.H. course!

I've been taking pictures so I can do a post on what we wear at school. I promise it will be coming soon! :)

Also, I used to live in San Francisco, so if you have any questions about anything, let me know!

TheFamousStacie said...

Good luck! I envy your motivation!