Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Preppy Phone

Hello Lovelies,


The preppy phone has broken... people can call me, but I can't hear them... It is one month before my phone upgrade, and because I have been with AT&T for so long they are willing to offer me the upgrade early, but it won't qualify towards an Iphone...


I have my old Cell phone that still works, and can put my SIM card in that to get by until the end of May, but I'm wondering should I just give in and get an Iphone? I know that every body has one, and I know all of the great features that are available on the Iphone. But I also know that even with the discount they're still $200, and then I have to upgrade my plan to $75 a month before taxes and extras (the PBF says his bill is usually closer to around $90). The question isn't so much is it worth it, because I know if I had the Iphone I would use it all the time, rather the question for me is whether or not this is a wise decision. I mean as a medical student I'll be living on borrowed money, and I'm just not sure it makes sense to increase the amount I'll be paying in a phone bill. 


So what do you think readers? Is it time that I just bite the bullet and jump on the Iphone train? Or am I better off to save the extra $420-$660 a year that I'll be spending on my increased phone bill and hold off until I'm at least a 3rd year medical student, at which time some of the medical applications become almost necessary for rotations?

13 comments:

d.a.r. said...

I really really really love my iPhone....really :)

Trish {Pink Preppy Lilly Lover} said...

My hubby can't live without his iPhone. I have a BB through my company so I just use that. I had another phone but realized how much I hated carrying around two phones and why pay the extra money. In order to satisfy my iPhone jealousy he got me an iTouch for Christmas. It's great and you can do almost as many things (OK not really) but as long as you have a Wi-fi signal you can get online, apps, etc.

If you can afford it, I say go for it. ;) And I'll just be over here in my "I don't have an iPhone" pity party (LOL)

XOXOX

Trish {Pink Preppy Lilly Lover} said...

Hi love! Back to tell you that I am so psyched you're going to play along tomorrow - check out my sidebar, I added a BUTTON!

How fancy pants am I?? XOXO

Imjustagirl said...

I had an iphone and it broke a few months ago. I could have upgraded and resigned my contract but we have 10 lines (business phones) on the smae contract and i am trying to keep everyone on the same page. I have been using a go phone but honestly I really really miss my iphone. I am not sure it is worth going into debt over but it will definetly make your life a lot easier. I will be getting a new iphone next year if I can hold out when everyone is one the same page.

AEOT said...

It's so hard to justify, isn't it? I can't do it- too cheap, I guess. I know I'd love it, but for now it's not worth it. You would use an iTouch ALL the time in the hospital though, so that's definitely something to consider. GL and let us know what you do!

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

All the geeks in my life, say do not buy for another year, much to many kinks in them still. Everybody I know has problems with the touch screen after a couple of months. I am hold too!

erica said...

I love my iPhone... but honestly as soon as my two year plan is up I am just going for a different phone. I don't really need the internet 24/7. My iPhone dies way too quickly for my liking. Maybe I just have a lemon of a an iPhone.

xo

Her Preppiness said...

Get one.You won't be sorry.

Keri said...

I say do it. I mulled over upgrading to my blackberry (I have verizon so the Iphone is not an option...yet) and now that I have it I can't live without it and honestly don't even notice the extra $30 per month!

Anonymous said...

You might think me nuts, you know how much I adore my iphone. But I am perhaps hyper-sensitive to the looming bills for medical school, and that is a significant expense IMHO.

Hope you aren't shocked! :)
tp

TheFamousStacie said...

I will tell you truth from my POV. I have an iphone. I love it, but I only have it because I'm on my parents' plan, and I got my dad's hand me down.

Left to my own druthers, I would have nothing. In fact, I only have a phone because I was in a car wreck when my son was 2, and I had to flag down a car to call 911 for an ambulance to take him to the hospital.

That's when my parents bit the bullet and got me a phone and paid for it.

I just felt it was not a necessary expense. Not necessary enough to borrow money to pay for it.

Med school, in a lot of ways, requires sacrifice, especially monetary sacrifice.

Wearing clothes from high school. Coloring our own hair. Sack lunches.

And the phone that comes free with our plan!

(In our experience, when Chad need something to run apps on for school, the school provided it. The school also provided pagers.)

We all have little things that we can't live without that may seems silly and needless to someone else. If yours is the iphone, indulge, if not, don't worry or feel uncool! You'll be just fine without it... for now...

Chasity @ Haute Mommy Blog said...

In 3 years those apps, and possibly the iPhone will be obsolete. But I'd still get one! I love mine! $600 a year isn't thaaaaat much. You should switch to ATT, my bill is less than $60 per month, the dataplan is only $30, I have unlimited texts for $4, and the phone and taxes make up the rest.

Jane said...

GET IT NOW! I have flashcards on mine and anytime I get stuck somewhere, I can always study. Those 5 and 10 minute sessions can really add up.

And, there are all kinds of things that can help you your first 2 years as well!

It really really really is a good idea!