Although, we generally try to keep things around here lighthearted and upbeat... there are some issues that must be addressed using all available means... and the oil leak in the gulf is one of those issues. BP has been saying for weeks now that they are leaking 5,000 barrels of oil a day... well they finally released a video of what is happening on the sea floor... and after specialists in the field analyzed the video the actual amount of oil that is leaking into the gulf is much closer to 50,000 -70,000 barrels of oil a day... that is more than ten times what BP and the Coast Guard are claiming (Click here to read the article and listen to the interview).
Now I'm not a big conspiracy theory girl... but I can tell you one thing... I believe these scientists, they are experts of their field, and using several different methods to measure based on the video they are all getting figures that are more than ten times what BP is claiming.
In his speech nominating Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court President Obama said that "In a democracy, powerful interests must not be allowed to drown out the voices of ordinary citizens." Well, Mr. President I am an ordinary citizen, and BP is a powerful interest, and all I want is the truth, all I want is to know and prepare, and help clean up my beautiful coastline... and yet BP is drowning out my voice with false claims, and outright lies. ENOUGH of this... I am this country and I have a voice... and so do you!
We all understand that accidents and mistakes can happen, we all believe that an oil spill is a very bad thing... so why on earth is our Coast Guard joining forces with BP to lie to us about the amount of oil washing up on our shores? We are the citizens of this nation! We are this nation! And we demand truth... even if its hard to hear, even if its bad for business, even if it's frightening... We are intelligent and capable... and we as Americans believe in honesty... So, please write your congress people urge them to force BP to tell the truth, urge them to force the Coast Guard to tell the truth... BP is making everyone involved in the clean up sign gag orders saying they won't tell the press or the public how many dead animals their finding. They are explaining away every sign of this being a disaster and most of all they are trying their best to avoid responsibility. These companies are raking in annual earnings in the billions of dollars, they can afford to clean up our shores, and to be honest with us! "No matter how BP tries to spin it this is a disaster of EPIC proportions, probably one of the worst we will see in our lifetimes... (click here to read this full article)"
Take ten minutes to write the president and write your state representatives and your congress people.
1. Go to http://www.congress.org/
2. On the right hand side of the screen you'll see this
3. Enter in your zip code and click "Go"
4. You'll see this
5. Click on any one of the names in red. In my case I clicked on Kay Bailey Hutchinson
6. You'll see this page summarizing your representative
7. Click on the contact tab, and you'll see this page highlighting the ways you can contact your representative.
8. Contact them in each way you possibly can. Call them, Fax them, Email them, Snail mail them... inundate their inboxes and phone lines asking for the truth. If enough of us demand truth... somebody, somewhere will give it to us... after all WE ELECT Them... WE HAVE THE POWER! So get active... take ten minutes this weekend and ask the president, and you federal and state congress people to tell you the truth about the BP Oil Spill!