Monday, February 23, 2009

Only Me...

I've been motivated to run lately, my thinking is "just get dressed and go for ten minutes, and if after ten minutes it's still as horrible as you think go home."

Usually once I get moving and running through my neighbor hood with my dog Torri (AKA Victoria Anne), I want to stay moving and end up running a half hour or more.

This weekend, the whole plan backfired. I was running and running and listening to my ipod and enjoying myself. I started running through this new-to-me subdivision. At about 20 minutes I decided I would turn around... let me just say the designers of this subdivision belong in the 8th circle of Dante's Inferno... you see every street I turned on to head North (north = home) was a cul-de-sac, but these streets were not marked with the usual cul-de-sac markings. Imagine my surprise upon turning up street after street named things like "such and such Drive" or "ABC road" only to end up at a cul-de-sac and have to turn around.

My ten, turned twenty minute run ended up being over an hour and I ended up running the last 20 minutes in the dark. It was not a pleasant end to an otherwise enjoyable run.

To whomever designed that subdivision you are cruel, cruel individuals. For the common good and courtesy of others please mark your cul-de-sacs with "No Outlet" signage or name them things like "123 Circle" or "courtesy loop" or "roundabout lane." Seriously.... now that we don't use maps anymore are we throwing common signage by the wayside? What are poor lost runners supposed to use to navigate?

4 comments:

Jennifer @ Her Southern Charm said...

You know, that is a great way to think! After 10 minutes, I'll be done! hee hee

Please stop by and visit me. I'm doing a Tucker Blair headband giveaway! They're so cute and super preppy! :)

Anonymous said...

that is hilarious:) well not funny that you went through running hell and back, but it still is a little bit funny:)

What Kate Wore said...

That is absolutely, positively the coolest sign Miss Complete!
tp

Kate said...

I got super lost the first time I ran in Australia. I had no idea where I was for about an hour!